Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thoughtful Friends

I'm so grateful for thoughtful friends who make me desire to be better. My friend Kristi Brausch asked me one day for the birthdays of all of our family members and since then has never failed to send a card. Not only to send a card but a card that arrives on TIME! My kids always get so excited to get mail (I have to admit so do I). My Dad and his wife are also very good about this.

Now me? I remember that I should have sent a card the day before their birthday, I then either throw my hands up and say "Oh, well! There's always next year!", I make excuses about how I've already done my weekly WalMart shopping (yeah, I don't get out much) and don't have a card, or I give them a lame phone call. So here's my plan of action:

1. Gather a few birthdays starting with your own children (I mean I need to start small or I'm going to fail..I know myself too well)

2. Buy your first real "your a grown-up now" planner to record such dates. I like this one from Franklin Covey

3. Quit being a scrooge and buy cards ahead of time so you already have them on hand (Note here: I personally am a little "anti-cards". I hate paying $3-$5 for something that someone will probably throw away within a week. HOWEVER, I have a Mother-in-law who LOVES receiving cards and always gushes over them. Point is: It's the thought that counts!)

4. Eventually become world famous for sending cards for the birthdays, weddings, graduations, losses, new jobs, new babies, new puppies, great haircuts and blemish free days of my family, friends, and that one really nice lady at the library. (Ask Kimberly Cardon why she'll stand in her line and wait for 10 minutes even though that OTHER librarian is totally available)

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know the Dollar Tree has some pretty nice cards there. And usually they are 2 for $1. I go and stock up on several different types of cards and continue to watch for new ones in. Then I don't feel guilty for spending too much money on cards and I have a great stash!

Just a thought to help you become successful. YOU CAN DO IT!

Karin Hopkins said...

I swear I use to be good at sending cards.....and then I had kids (what can you do!).

Celestia said...

At Sams Club or Costco, they send premade cards that look like you actually made them. They come in a really cute box and have about 30-40 for a bunch of different occasions for only about 14 bucks. I bought them, but have yet to send them out. Atleast I own them, that's a good start for me.

Celestia said...

I meant sell, not send.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joalea,

I came over because of your comment at Kristi Brausch's blog.

I, too, am challenged when it comes to cards. I am getting better however, but my main challenges are buying the card when I remember that a birthday is coming up, and getting to the post office (sad, I know). I am also like you in that I do my grocery shopping once a week so if something doesn't get done then, it goes on the list for the next week. :-)

I have seen those cards at Costco, and have been tempted, but due to the second problem I mentioned, I don't buy them. Ditto for the dollar store cards, although that is also an excellent idea.

What has saved me in recent months is being able to send paper cards out without having to buy them or get to the post office. I did a course last year on getting more referrals for my business and the course leader introduced us to a company called Send Out Cards. Turns out they have - well, I don't know how many they have - enough cards to rival a card store, at least, and you can pick one, personalize it with a message from you and they print it, stick a real stamp on the envelope and mail it out and the person you're sending it to gets the real paper card.

I use it primarily for business - keeping in touch with my clients and so on, but I have been known to send a "Thinking About You" card to my daughter and husband. It saves me the time of driving to the store and then to the post office, and it's way cheaper than the cards at the stores (lately I'm beginning to be scroogish, too, about cards, even though I'm a card fanatic!!). Anyway, just thought I'd mention what works and if you want to send a card (on me) you can just click on my name and it'll send you right there and walk you through how to do it.

All the best (and by the way, your puppy is adorable!)

Suzanne