Friday, August 17, 2007

A hunting he will go


So he's going. And the best word I can use to describe his mood as he left tonight for his Dad's is "Giddy". For the first time in our 10 1/2 years of marriage Jason is going hunting. He grew up hunting with his dad, raised eating everything from Venison to Rabbit to Squirrel to Roadkill (short pause to insert Jay's defense: It only got hit in the head!). Yes he is a born and raised redneck and I knew this day would come. There's always been great excuses...not enough money, time, etc...and then he got into this "compound bow obsession" with his Dad. He went out and bought himself a deer tag for his birthday behind my back and sentences like "What do you think about me going hunting this year?" Turned to sentences like "Deer season starts the end of August." "When I go hunting in August with Dad I'll only be gone for a Saturday." I've never discouraged him from going.....I've just never encouraged him :)

Payton is not quite old enough and was very upset that he couldn't go. (Tears and everything). He doesn't quite understand that he'll scare all the deer in a 20 mile radius with every "When do we eat?". Before Jay left he told me that he told Payton to say a prayer for him in the morning. I said, "That you'll be safe or that you'll kill a deer?" Slight pause...."Both". Oh geeze.

Quick Survey: Should you pray to kill? I mean even Nephi just asked for location.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't we love hunting season. Chad is there too. I have my son saying dad if you bring home a deer I will give you a dollar.

Karin Hopkins said...

Greg grew up wanting to go hunting and then when he went duck hunting for last year and actually caught something....and had to pluck and skin the thing....lets just say he's lost all passion for hunting. If he grew up hunting thou he probably is use to all the guts and blood....i'd pray for not unless you want to eat venison for the rest of the winter :)!

Anonymous said...

OH my goodness. How funny is that? Giddy like a little schoolgirl. One thing though is that he'll come home just as happy as any of us girls do when we've had a night out on the town with the gals. It's fun and enjoyable.

But hmmm ... pray to kill? Not too sure about that one.