Thursday, October 4, 2007

Thank you Tylenol Cold and Sinus

Feeling sick, like such a loser. What is it with illness that makes you feel like your never ever going to get better and that this is the new you for the rest of your life? I wish the baby had a switch on him. I’d just shut him down until I was feeling rested and well. Payton is suspended (again) and home and talking my ear off. He’s doing schoolwork and it’s such a struggle. I don’t know if I could home school this guy. He gets distracted so easily with something as simple as sharpening a pencil (the pencil sharpener ran out of batteries so he had to pull everything out of the cupboard to get to some new ones. And yes, there are 15 other sharpened pencils in the pencil cup, however he doesn't want those.) Or how about hanging an art picture on the fridge. He is currently doing that one. The magnet had to accidentally drop under the fridge…hmmm…better find something to fish it out with…lets dig through the junk drawer. Still no luck…even though there are 50 other magnets on this fridge, I’ll “borrow” a magnet from mom’s calendar that falls every time someone breathes on it. Whoops there goes the calendar and half the items hung on the fridge. Now he’s standing there with his arms full of pictures and magnets trying to hold the calendar onto the fridge and looking around for support. I mean all this to hang a picture!! I really need to try harder with him. I resolve to study how to behaviorally treat ADHD kids and see how he responds. I feel for his teachers who have to deal with getting him to accomplish things on a daily basis! I have noticed if I make him a “to do” list he does really well. (inserting foot in mouth as he is currently whining and throwing toys because I told him he had to do the items on his list in order, and could not pick which things he wanted to do first). Sigh……Someday I will have him figured out and by then he’ll probably have black fingernails, be piercing his tongue and calling me by my middle name “Lucille”.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be a strange comment ... but I love how you find humor in everything. A way to laugh while you're tired and frustrated. I hope some day to be able to use my humor like you do.

If anyone can learn how to help their children, it's you!! I have total faith in all that you do!

Karin Hopkins said...

I was just sick....and now my kids are! It must be going around! Aren't kids so lovely sometimes. At least you just laugh about it. I was going to put Kylee in a permanant time out this afternoon when she got into the 20th thing that she wasn't suppose to touch (and she knows that). I swear she spent more time sitting on her bed with her arms folded, staring at the ceiling than playing today. Kids are fun!

Kel said...

Oh Joalea...I feel for ya! I have to say though, that I got a good laugh out of the "black fingernail,...calling me Lucille" line!! Good one! Hang in there & keep those prayers headed Payton's way...he'll be OK...with parents like you guys he'll be just fine.