Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A day in the life of......

A homeschooling Mom once said to a non-homeschooling friend of mine "I don't know what mom's DO all day that send kids to school." At first, when I heard this it made me sit back and for a second think "What DO i do all day?? I'm such a loser!" I thought I was less than a mom because I send my kids to school. Then I realized, I DO A LOT! So here it is. A break down of what I did today (of course this was an extra busy day so don't think this is "the norm"). By the way, please just insert "Wipe a Butt" and "Clean up baby barf" every 30 minutes, on your own.

5:30am - Wake up and meditate for 10 minutes, get dressed for workout
6am - Work Out
6:40am - Scriptures, Nurse the baby
7am - Make Bed, Shower, Get kids making beds, getting dressed and picking up rooms before school
7:15am - Feed kids breakfast, Make lunches, Feed Baby Breakfast (try to run back and blowdry hair here)
7:45am - Get everyones teeth brushed, hair combed, out the door(without leaving shoes).
8am - Drop off kids, return home
8:05am - Pull out sourdough starter and give it a feeding to activate for rolls later (I mean you'd think I had enough things to feed)
8:15am - Clean up breakfast and "morning rush" mess
8:45am - Finish getting ready/Clean up bathroom/start laundry
9am - Breathe
9:15 am - Out the door for grocery shopping (After packing snack, water, diapers, burp cloths)

10:45am - Return home, put away perishables
11am - Nurse Baby
11:30am - Make lunch for self and toddler/Clean up
12pm - Put away more groceries/Start another load of laundry
12:15pm - Feed Baby Lunch
12:30pm - Finish putting away groceries
12:45pm - Read "Just one more...." book to toddler, snuggle baby, both go for nap
1:00pm - Blend frozen peaches and put in plastic baby food containers for freezing (Figured this one out after having to thaw out like 6 food ice cubes to make a full meal...I flash freeze the food in those plastic little Gerber stage 2 containers and once frozen, pop them into a freezer bag. Now I only need 2 for a meal! I'n so smart!!)
1:30pm - Start dough for rolls for dinner
2:00pm - Start Split Pea Soup (Yay! I had a ham bone!)
2:30pm - Pull babies from naps, pick up big kids
2:45pm - Make snack, talk about day
3:15pm - Homework, clean up from dinner making
4pm - Watch something I've DVR'd while I fold Laundry, listen to Katrina read for 20 minutes
5pm - Eat Dinner. Then the real madness begins
5:30pm - It's all a blur. Basically Cleaning bodies and household surfaces non-stop until 7pm.
7pm - Read/Prayer/Brush little teeth/books/bed
8pm - Crash on the couch, turn on the TV and eat a fudge pop
9pm - Brush Teeth/Wash Face, scriptures, bed

*Repeat Daily

I mean seriously. I know this day was a little extreme but I have a day like this at least ONCE a week. Some people like to homeschool their kids, Some mom's are crafty, (I certainly am not one of those), some do a lot of outdoors activities, some make babyfood, and some days (or weeks) we just try to keep our heads above water and stay afloat. The only reason I'm doing this post is because it wasn't one of those days for me. Otherwise it would have read as follows:

7:45am - Crawl out of bed, let kids dress themselves in shorts and t-shirts for the rainy day, give money for breakfast and lunch, take to school (w/out teeth or ha.ir brushed)
8:15am - Slump around the house in jammies and Count down the minutes till bedtime

My point is that we're all different but we're all great mom's trying to do the best we can. If your reading this maybe you could post on your blog what your day looked like today. You might be suprised and pleased to find that you accomplished more than you thought. I personally find it fascinating to know what occupies people's time so please let me know if you decide to do this :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think people don't realize that being a mom is one of the toughest, most time consuming jobs in the world. And then to add homeschooing in on top of it ... I couldn't imagine.

One of the things I've had to learn (the hard way too) is that all I can be is myself. I can't compare myself to others. We each do things so differently and in our own time. You should be pleased and proud for all the things you accomplish daily! I know that I'm constantly amazed with you!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. By the time night time comes it is so exhausting to look back and see what you did. you are a great mom... I jsut want to know how you can bake braed in that madness??? That is simply impressive and great!Keep you the amazing work raising your beautiful kids!

Karin Hopkins said...

Well, I am impressed Joalea! My days look more like the second entry rather than the first (for instance I never get up at 5:30)...I will try to post my routine of today so you can see what only two kids at home feels like again. Keep up the great work!

Celestia said...

You forgot to mention at 5:30 you took dinner to your helplessly pitiful VTF who can't do half of those things that you can do and is so jealous! Oh, by the way, my hubbie wants your recipe for Split Pea Soup, that's the first kind he has ever liked, and I agree. It was delicious. Thank you so much!