Wednesday, November 7, 2007

5 Years


I remember making clubs and forts with you and Scott when Amber wouldn't play with me anymore.

I remember catching you in the bathroom frequently raising your eyebrows and making kissy faces.

I remember your OBSESSION with your hair and how you'd always say "You wish you were this good looking."

I remember your crush on that Smith girl and how you and Scott would fight over who got to pass the sacrament to her family.

I remember your ability to make everyone laugh.

I remember you patiently standing next to the piano and singing over and over again for me because I couldn't hit the ranges of the songs I loved sung by male singers.

I remember you helping mom set up a picnic blanket dinner in our field for me and Jason on my 16th birthday. You rode this little bike out the 100 yards to deliver stuff to us making me laugh every time.

I remember you suddenly being a trouble maker

I remember you being withdrawn

I remember how confused I was when I found out you were sick.

I remember visiting you for the first time and not being able to hold back the tears.

I remember visiting you every Sunday that I could and wondering when you were going to "come out of it".

I remember playing card games and the disappointment when I didn't bring you Jack in the Box cuz it was Sunday.

I remember your obsession with eating.

I remember you shaving that beautiful hair and never taking care of it again.

I remember getting the phone call. Thanks to that morning and the morning of 9/11 my heart stops every time the phone rings in the early morning hours.

I remember walking into moms and seeing all our family and feeling closer to them than I have ever felt.

I remember the pain of having to all go visit Brandon as a family and tell him what had happened.

I remember singing at your funeral.

I remember laughing about the good times after your funeral.

I remember you, and I will never forget. Love ya Jon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. Touched my heart and made me bawl. I just went through a lot of these same feelings thinking of the loss of my grandma (and best friend) 2 years ago and my aunt we lost 5 years ago in October to Ovarian Cancer. She was 45 and one of the best people I knew.

You put your feelings so eloquently. If only I could write like that!

Anonymous said...

I remember you bringing some handheld roses that morning as you walked in the front door.
I remember finding them later that afternoon after everyone had gone - scattered on the ground where he had fallen.
I also remember our family being closer that morning as we all gathered together and being closer ever since.
Thank you Jo - for remembering.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

it was beautiful jolea. i have a hard time remembering anything before he went crazy. i dont know why. But i really enjoy remembering things before that day. I too would like to thank you for remembering.

Anonymous said...

i know that you sent this to ma many months ago, and i don't leave you comments to your blog but i was reading this one again
( and crying my eyes out) and i just have to say that you have such a way with words. this is probly one of the most beautiful things that i have read and it really touched me. now that you say it all i remeber it too.
( i didn't before. ) he really was awsome wasn't he.

Candra said...

Even when we were really liitle in Pasifica he would play our chef and make me and Brandon "butterfly sandwiches" they were usually pb&j but he would cut them into fours and arrange them to look like butterflies and serve us at the table with chips. I remember one tim also in Pasifica we went down to that school at the bottum of the hill for a picinic and I closed my hand on a bee and it stung me like crazy and I was screaming and he carried me until a lady gave us a ride home. I love so much remebering these things cuz i remember that morning so much different and I hate it. I miss him so much. Thanx for writing these thing Jo.

Anonymous said...

I can’t read this without crying. It’s so beautiful written! Love you Joalea❤️ miss you Jonathan ❤️‍🩹