Monday, November 12, 2007

Got Milk or Not Milk?

Ok, so just a little disclaimer first of all that I am the only member of my family (so far) with these liberal views on human consumption. My husband is in no part associated with this thinking and looks at me like I'm crazy every time I talk about this stuff.

I've been reading a little bit about this debate and it's quite interesting. We're the only animals on this earth who continue to consume milk after infancy. And we turn to another animal for the source. Is this natural? Then there's the nasty facts about growth hormones, possibility of spreading disease, and did you know that in every glass of milk your drinking pus? Disgusting, but do I want to give it up, AND do I want to just stop reading things that interest me so that I remain ignorant??

Half of my family drinks Soy Milk. The one child that doesn't has Asthma and behavioral problems. Would I be doing him a favor by eliminating dairy and anything else that contains casein from his diet? I'm not going vegan or anything (but I have researched it). I mean I love my meats in moderation, but do I really need milk? Can I train myself (and my son) to enjoy soy? Maybe I'll try it. Do a one week challenge and see how we feel. Nothing crazy like no ice cream or cheese, just milk. Maybe I'll create a new blog about it and have Payton post with me! That would be fun! K, just some thoughts today. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

P.S. Speaking of vegan..just for fun and to prove Lehi's teaching that all things must have an opposition I googled "vegetables bad for you" and of course got all sorts of articles on why we "shouldn't" eat vegetables. There's an argument for everything!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.Some really interesting thoughts. I'm lactose intolerant so I don't drink milk. I used to love it so much. But continued to get sicker and sicker. Truthfully, I don't really even drink soy milk. And with all the vitamins and supplements I have to take from having my surgery, calcium hasn't been an issue for me.

Sounds like it may be an interesting experiment. And getting Payton involved and letting him blog may be fun.

Karin Hopkins said...

If you want to go Soy but can't stand that taste try Silk soy vanilla favored....it takes the edge off soy. You can buy it in bulk at Costco and its relatively cheap....you can also get it at Trader Joe's for just over a $1.50...I had issues with milk in HS....but now i'm back to being addicted....maybe they put something in there to keep us coming back as well.

Kel said...

while i was on my mission i had to drink powdered milk or nasty-Guate-milk in a box (not sure where it came from??) both of which were NOT good at all! One of the first things I did when I got home was had a FULL glass of ice cold milk!! Haven't missed many days without it since...

Anonymous said...

Hey Joalea,

We recently have had a few dilemmas with milk our selfs. The boys have this nasty cough that's been going on for two months now. Milk aggravates the cough so bad that they puke from coughing so much. After some research when I found out I have endometriosis we said NO to soy milk (you've heard of man boobs?...soy milk. Another fun topic for you to look into.) We've been giving the boys chicken and beef broth (homemade, they don't make it with bones from the store.) It seem to be working out great. Hope this helps.

Kristi B

Anonymous said...

One more tid bit, some people theorize that girls starting their periods younger and younger is from the growth hormones given to cows. (We get it from the milk and the meat.) So we buy organic milk (it's for me...I love milk!)

I hear there's also benefits to getting non-homogenized milk too. But it's hard to find. People get weird about cream floating in their milk. Shake it up before you drink it and you'll be good.

Kristi B